Sister Foster

Sister Foster

Monday, August 11, 2014

First week in Austin


 

Texas is very humid! The moment that I stepped off the plane it hit me like a brick wall. They were not kidding about the heat here. They tell me it was worse last summer, but every time I open my door I sweat off 2 pounds already! San Antonio is beautiful, oh my gosh if it weren't for the heat and humidity I would seriously consider moving here. But I am actually in Austin right now. I am over the Austin ward.   My area is HUGE!!! Luckily I have a car, but thank you so much for the bike...I might use it later on. My new companions name is Sister Hansen. She is already 17 months done, and I am her only trainee (daughter). And get this, her trainer was My teacher in the MTC!!! HAHA it is so funny how small TSAM really is. I already started driving because she is red-dotted (Can't drive the last 6 weeks of mission) Yikes!  The flight here was fine taking off, except for Sis. Barrick...but landing was a little more difficult. Sadly none of my MTC sisters are in my zone or district:(   
My first Sunday was overwhelming! So many faces and names to memorize but no time to do it...and I was asked to speak in Sacrament meeting on Saturday afternoon. Like a boss. The ward I am in is great! I have already connected with a family (The Lea's) who's conversion story is amazing. They are your typical Texan family...they fed us SO MUCH FOOD... chicken drumsticks, scalloped potatoes, green salad, fruit salad AND peach cobbler and ice cream, They wouldn't let us go home without food either! My companion told me she has gained 30 pounds on her mission...but she is the skinniest person I have ever seen. The members here are so friendly and welcoming. 
The Hermanas in my district are awesome! They really want to know how I am doing and how our day went. I have even learned a few phrases in Spanish "We are missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" And "Would you like a card?". Sister Hansen told me she learned to say that in 3 months but apparently I got it down in 2 days. Thank you Senora Smith and Senora Walker!!
I think I have a curse, because everytime we go see someone, they either don't want to hear it or they are not home. I seriously don't know how to keep going after every door slam. I feel there is ONE person ready to hear the gospel, they are just hidden deeply in this city ;)  In the area where I am serving, I have to make sure I have my keys and purse extra close to me. I am in the ghetto part of Austin...yep. :)
Okay to be perfectly honest, I am questioning why I am here at all.  The sisters are so nice to me, asking me how I am doing and it hasn't even been a full week but I am having thoughts of home and being kind of homesick. I am really nervous about being only 5 weeks away from being with the ward that I BARELY know with a brand new companion. 
Please send me all the prayers you can send this way. I truly need them. I know this gospel is the true gospel of Jesus Christ and that Joseph Smith helped restore in back on the earth. That is why I am out here!!!

Love you always,

Sister Foster

p.s. is it normal for one eye to twitch all day?


At the airport with Sister Barrick



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment